NRF 2018 – What a show!
By Marco Nielsen, Vice President, Managed Mobility Services – Stratix
Over 35,000 attendees and 500+ exhibitors were present at this year’s show in New York City in the middle of January. Brrrrr, was it cold!
Stratix showcased its strong vertical focus in retail and how we assist many top retailers with their mobile technology solutions that are critical to their business. As a Bronze-level sponsor, Stratix had a key location in the expo area where we met with many of our customers, partners, vendors, and prospects. In our booth, we had information hot off the press on interesting survey findings from top retailers.
This years’ key takeaways and trends
- The customer is still #1.
- With sharpened competition like never before, the customer is king and technology should be first and foremost to serve your customers.
- Virtual Reality (VR) and Augmented Reality (AR) technology
- Most of the big players in the retail space like SAP, IBM, Salesforce, and Oracle were demonstrating AR and VR applications, but it might not quite be ready for wide-scale use. We’re still waiting to see real-world Mixed Reality (MR) solutions, which may provide the breakthrough.
- 3D visualization and holographic displays
- 3D is perhaps an almost forgotten technology, this could be more relevant than ever to visualize products before purchase.
- What is Unpowered plastic touchscreen technology or a holographic touchscreen? It’s a projected touchscreen. Check out this video.
- Mobile shopping will continue to increase
- Ed Macri, CMO of Wayfair, shared how their iOS app with ARKit lets shoppers take a photo of anything to find it or something similar online, then view in 3D how it will look in their home.
- Apple‘s Jennifer Bailey, VP, Apple Pay: “Mobile spend will be the largest commerce channel in 2021 and 87% of time spent will be spent in apps.”
- Solutions to bridge the gap between legacy in-store experiences to new-world mobile everywhere, anytime experiences to keep customer satisfaction.
- Personal assistant technology
- As we see the Amazon Echo, Google Home, and Apple HomePod come into our homes, similar audio technologies can also assist store associates to better serve customers in retail processes.
- Mobile payment solutions
- At the NRF show, the focus is on retail, and payment is a key component of the business process. We saw interesting new devices and technology from all the major hardware vendors to keep pace with the growing need of mobile payment solutions.
- This one is our favorite… Michelle Bacharach, Founder and CEO, FINDMIND said, “Customers will spend 200% more when you show them what to buy.” We love that because Mobile has shown to make a huge impact in this area.
Another highlight was Levi’s collaboration with Google to create the connected commuter trucker jacket, that resulted in outerwear that connects to a smartphone, allowing commuters to check the time, control music and get directions, just by swiping their sleeve.
If you would like to know more and learn more details on any of the technology mentioned, please contact us to talk to one of our mobility architects!
And, that’s a wrap!
Stratix will be back next year to NRF 2019 for more exciting retail news and customer interaction! But, you don’t have to wait until next year to talk to us. Schedule some time to speak with us now!